Explore old capital of Georgia and its surroundings on a day trip
Mtskheta day trip offers you to escape the city and visit the oldest city of Georgia within just few hours. During the tour, you can enjoy panoramic aerial views of mountains around Jvari Monastery, observe the confluence of Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers, or have a time trip back to early centuries in the area of Svetitskhoveli cathedral and Samtavro church, at the end of the tour you will taste Georgian wine.
Excursion is accompanied with guide in English and Russian, and provides best value for families, friends, couples and solo travellers.
We will visit:
- Mtskheta is one of oldest cities of Georgia near Tbilisi. Mtskheta was capital of the early Georgian Kingdom of Iberia from the 3rd century BC to the 5th century AD. Here Georgians accepted Christianity in 317 and Mtskheta remains the headquarters of the Georgian Orthodox and Apostolic Church.
- Jvari Monastery is a Georgian Orthodox monastery of the 6th century near Mtskheta (World Heritage site). The name is translated as the Monastery of Cross. The great church represents the peak of the architectual typology. It is a true architectual masterpiece of the early Medieval period overlooking the confluence of Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers from the top of the hill.
- Svetitskhoveli Cathedral was built in the 11th century, although the site itself is even older, dating back to the early 4th century. It differs in its artistic value, magnigicence, harmony and the special role it has played in the history. The monument has an elogated cross which appears to touch the sky. It was the main pilgrimage place on the Silk Road, the burial plae of the Christ's Robe and the tomb place of Georgian Kings. The cathedral is the second largest church building in Georgia and is listd as a UNSECO World Heritage Site along with other historical monuments of Mtskheta.
- Samtavro monastery complex was built in the 11th century. It contains the grave of queen Nana and Mirian III, the king of Iberia, who established Christianity as official religion in Georgia. The famous Georgian monk Gabrieli is buried inside the Samtavro church as well.
- Wine Degustation - Where you can taste and buy Georgian wine.
A few quick facts:
- Departing: daily
- Departure time: 15:00
- Meeting point: Sightseeing Tbilisi Office
- Duration: Approx. 4 hours
Tickets can be booked online with promotions - here or at our office (Meidan sq.)
We wish you a pleasant stay in Tbilisi. Thank you and enjoy your trip!